Saturday 14 December 2013

Manisha Koirala recalls her meeting Nelson Mandela

Former Bollywood actress Manisha Koirala was devastated when the legendary Nelson Mandela passed away. On one of the spotless white walls of her Mumbai duplex hangs a large portrait of a younger Manisha clutching the iconic leader's hand, with both beaming away.

The actress, who is recuperating from jaundice and is in Mumbai for a few weeks, says, "When the news of Madiba's death broke, I joined the rest of the world in mourning the loss."


She recalls her own meeting with him during a film shoot with Mahesh Bhatt and Sanjay Duttin South Africa many years ago. She says, "I think it was during our stint for the film Kartoos. Bhatt sahab was the one who directed this shot that is on my wall. When we got a chance to meet Madiba, Bhatt sahab told me, 'Manisha, hold on to him. This will be a treasured moment in your life'."

The actress adds, "All these years later, I still recall how warm his handshake was. He had a firm grip, but there was so much warmth in his handshake and in the way he met people. I'm glad this portrait is on my wall for posterity."

No comments:

Post a Comment